Teppen Thonglor, a Japanese grill restaurant which focuses on premium grilled beef. Their current promotion includes a free salad buffet with every order (unlimited salad helpings just like Sizzler). However, they don’t serve sushi anymore. That’s quite regrettable.
The restaurant has established an objective of wanting to provide happiness among their customers, by starting from welcoming them like VIP guests, as well as, grilling demonstrations. Their chef will even provide table side demonstrations for some menu items.
But what impresses us the most is when we leave the restaurant after our meal. They will carry a sign to bid us goodbye just like in the photo. As for the person waving his hand is non other than Mr. Takao, CEO of Teppen Thailand. Now, that’s what I call customer relations!!
- Wagyu Yukke
- Wagyu Karubi
- Shape of Wagyu
- Wagyu Yakisuki (if you prefer chewing)
- Mont Blanc
How to grill beef Teppen-style
- First, we have to wait for the fire to heat up a bit.
- If the beef is thinly sliced, just put it on the grill for 5-6 seconds, then flip it over for the same amount of time, and it’s done.
- If the beef is slightly thicker, place it on the grill for about 20 seconds, or if you notice that the uncooked side starts to appear juicy, just flip it over and wait for another 20 seconds, and you’re done.
- It is not recommended to turn the beef over several times as it will dry out the juiciness, making it hard and not tasty.
How to Grill Beef Tongue
- Beef tongue is the hardest part to cook and has to be grilled a bit longer. It can be turned over back and forth several times without it drying up. The staff mentioned that, “no matter how you grill it, it’s still delicious”.
A Review of Japanese grill restaurant, for beef lovers.
290 baht. For aficionados who like tender grilled beef without the excessive fattiness, this is the menu for you. It comes already marinated in sauce and all you have to do is just grill it. Absolutely perfect! No extra sauce dipping is necessary. If you like to try tender grilled beef, don’t hesitate to order this dish. Don’t forget to accompany it with their salad buffet. Guaranteed to be worth every baht (will the restaurant hate me for this, ha ha ^^).
Shape Of Wagyu
1,200 baht. If you’re unsure what each kind of wagyu is, just order this dish and you’ll get every part of the Wagyu Beef, from the mid-tongue, fore-tongue, chuck, round, sirloin, flank, ribs, short loin, and followed by the premium Teppen egg, which is a pickled egg with a firm texture, slight soft salty taste which can be eaten as a snack or accompany your beef dish.
The right way to partake in this dish is to start from the less fatty meat and finish the meal with parts with a higher fat content. This is so that your meal will not be too greasy. After listening to their explanation, a student like me didn’t pay attention to it much. I just select the meat parts randomly. Turns out that it was not so greasy at all ^^.
Wagyu Yakisuki With Premium Egg
390 baht. A large piece of thinly sliced Wagyu beef, served on a chic Mount Fuji-shaped plate. Quickly grill the meat on the stove and dunk in a premium grade raw egg that is both soft and creamy, without the raw egg smell. Moisten the beef completely and eat it while it’s hot. Absolutely delicious. But be warned this dish is on the chewy side, and not so soft and melty.
Wagyu Sirloin Yukke
980 baht. This is the best A5 beef in Thailand!! You can take it raw, or you can request for a bit of aburi (scorching). Either way, they’re absolutely great! The way to eat it is to beat the egg, pour the sauce, mix and then just put it in your mouth.
Wow! It just melts in your mouth, without any pungent smell. The taste is enhanced by the sweet and salty oiliness of the egg, the aroma of the sauce, and balanced out with the garlic and spring onions. Absolutely out of this world!
Sirloin (Tokujo Rosu)
480 baht. This part is tender, but also interspersed with a few chewy parts. While eating, you will get the sensation of fat bursting in the mouth. It comes with a light meaty scent. Personally, I like this dish the least.
270 baht. A large serving of cold noodles. Soft and sticky noodles in a sesame oil aromatic soup with a slight sweet and saltiness taste. Cool and refreshing, and should be taken with the restaurant’s special marinated sauce that smells a bit like sake which makes it a lot tastier.
480 baht. End your meal with a large serving of Mont Blanc. It consists of light puffs and nuts at the bottom, topped with Catalana, a vanilla ice cream pudding, dark chocolate bread, and imparts a slight saltiness taste, and topped with soft pumpkin cream (usually it’s purple sweet potato cream). It looks like a huge serving but it’s actually a light dessert that’s easy to eat.
Free, with every order. Unlimited salad servings. They have three kinds of homemade salad dressings; with ingredients such as apples and olive oil. I like their cheese which stays true to its substance from its smell and taste. It’s very satisfying. Currently, there may not be many vegetable options to choose from but (hopefully) there will be a wider selection to choose from in the future.
Types of sauce dips available
There are 3 types of dipping sauces available; the salty chilli sauce, not so spicy, and can be used to balance out the greasiness, the yakiniku sauce is salty and sweet, the marinade is very aromatic (I like this one best), and the sesame oil sauce with chopped spring onions. Lovers of wasabi can request it from the staff.
Parking at Teppen Thonglor
- Park at The Taste Thonglor
- Validate your parking at the restaurant: 3 hours free parking, 20 baht / hour for 4th – 6th hour.
- 100 baht/hour if parking is not validated. WOW!!
+ Excellent beef. Absolutely worth its price.
+ Wagyu Yakisuki or Wagyu Karubi, are not so pricey and you can still enjoy the tenderness.
+ Staff are friendly and energetic.
+ Unlimited helpings to the salad.
= Parking available, but the number of space is limited.
– Wish that the salad had a little more choices.
– Quite pricey.
Teppen Thonglor, also has a mini supermarket where they sell organic vegetables, and small private rooms on the 2nd floor. Reservations can be made (no extra charges) through their contact channels.
- Line: @Izakayateppen
- Teppen Thonglor Branch, Tel. 02-185-2635
Teppen Yakiniku Branches
• Teppen Thonglor, The Taste Thonglor Soi 11, Tel. 02-185-2635
• Teppen Phrom Phong (Bambini Villa), Sukhumvit Soi 26, Tel. 02-056-4337
• Teppen Velaa at Sindhorn Village, Soi Langsuan, Tel. 02-115-8008
• Maps and reservations: http://teppen.co.th/th/branch#izakaya
• Daily from 11.00 – 22.00 hrs.
• Opening hours vary from branch to branch.
Bear Duck, is a game designer and illustrator, who started out on a daring journey, interested in mindfulness, self-improvement, and street food. It currently has over 150,000 followers on Facebook.